Thursday, April 2, 2015

Swiss Roll Cake with Oreo Cream Cheese Filling



What is wrong with me? Why would I make this cake when I'm watching my sugar?

It was a cruel, cruel thing I did to myself. I mean come on! Look at this cake. Really. It's two boxes of Swiss rolls cut into 144 slices, yes I did the math, pressed into a spring form pan and filled with a cream cheese/whipped cream/Oreo filling. Oh. My. Lord.

My youngest with the very active sweet tooth saw this and it was all over. "Mom you have to make this" is what I heard over and over again until I made it.

I'm not, or never really was into the whole Little Debbie thing, but I did love the Swiss Rolls. I liked to peel off the chocolate and then eat the cakey center. That was just my thing.

This was super easy to throw together and look at it, it looks pretty damn impressive.

Oh how I wanted to have a slice but I resisted. I have some willpower huh?

You will lose some of the chocolate as you cut the Swiss Roll into pieces. Just gather them up and throw them back into the pan. It fills in all the little spaces.


Swiss Roll Cake with Oreo Cream Cheese Filling
Adapted from a recipe at Confessions of a Cookbook Queen
PRINTABLE RECIPE
24 Swiss Roll cakes (2 small boxes), unwrapped and cut into 6 slices each
8 oz cream cheese, softened to room temperature
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream, cold
16 Oreos, crushed

Line a 9 inch spring form pan with plastic wrap. Set aside.

Place a metal mixing bowl and your mixer whisk attachment in the freezer or fridge.

In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese and powdered sugar with your hand mixer, on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Set aside.

Remove chilled bowl and whisk attachment from freezer or fridge. Pour heavy cream in bowl and beat with the chilled whisk attachment with the mixer on high speed , until a stiff whipped cream forms. Working with 1/3 of the whipped cream at a time, gently fold into the cream cheese mixture until smooth and blended. Once all the whipped cream has been added and the filling is smooth, fold in cookie pieces until combined.

I cut each Swiss roll into 6 pieces. Line bottom and sides of spring form pan with Swiss Roll slices. Gather up any loose chocolate and put it back into the pan. Spoon filling into the pan and spread evenly. Top with remaining Swiss Roll slices to cover. Remember, your bottom will become your top so if there are some spaces left on the top it’s ok. Cover pan with plastic wrap or foil and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. To serve, turn pan out onto a cake plate and remove pan and wrap.



No comments: