Friday, March 21, 2014

Sugar Snap Peas & Chinese Sausage



I've been eating a lot of sugar snap peas lately. I kinda get going with something and get a bit obsessed with it. Right now it's sugar snap peas.

My local Sam's Club sells them in a 1 pound bag with no strings! Stringless. Oh glory. That is the one thing I hate about eating sugar snaps, you get that annoying pea string and it just ruins your whole pea eating experience. At least it does for me.

So I've been buying these for a month now and I usually just lightly steam them and add some soy and a little sesame oil and call it a done deal, but after a month of eating them that way I decided to try something a little different. I got my inspiration while I was cleaning out my freezer the other day and noticed a package of lap cheong, my beloved Chinese sausage. My local Asian market carries a few different kinds. I always buy the KamYenJam brand.

If you haven't had Chinese sausage I strongly urge you to try it.  It's dried smoked sausage and unlike some sausages, this must be cooked before you eat it. It's sweet, savory and salty all at the same time. Once you cook it, do not drain away the yummy juices that it renders. That's sauce for the snap peas!




Sugar Snap Peas with Chinese Sausage.
recipe from Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary
Printable recipe
4 links of Chinese sausage (you can freeze any unused sausage)
1 pound of sugar snap peas
2 -3 tablespoons of water
dash Sesame oil
sprinkling of seasame seeds (optional)

In a large heavy bottomed pan cook the Chinese sausage until it renders out some juice and the sausage begins to brown a bit. Remove from pan and set aside. Add the sugar snaps peas, a dash of sesame oil and 2 - 3 tablespoons of water (to help the peas stream) into the same pan.

Cover and steam for 2 - 3 minutes or until the peas are just tender (don't overcook!). Add the sausage back in, sprinkle with sesame seeds and eat immediately!

No comments: