Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Janet's Cheesy Baked Cauliflower




I just can't get enough cauliflower. I could eat it every single day.

I usually make my Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower or my Breaded Cauliflower but I'm always on the look out for a new cauliflower recipe and I found one through my friends Bob and Lisa Wisniewski. I was chatting with Lisa and she said that Bob was making a cheesy cauliflower recipe. I had a cheesy cauliflower recipe sitting on the kitchen table, ready to make but when Lisa told me about Bob's mother's recipe I scrapped that recipe for this one. I'm glad I did.

This was so delicious. You microwave the whole head before it goes in the oven so it cuts down the baking time significantly. You get this big head of cauliflower that you can cut into wedges to eat. It's just so good.

I might take a new spin on this the next time I make it and cut the head into florets, coat them with the mayo mixture, place them in a shallow baking sheet then cover with cheese and bake. Either way this recipe is scrumptious!

This is Bob's mother's recipe. Janet is no longer with us, but her recipe lives on. That's what I love about recipes and cooking, you can still make something that brings back memories of that person. So thank you Janet Wisniewski.



Janet's Cheesy Baked Cauliflower
Printable Recipe
1 large head of cauliflower
3/4 cup mayo
2 tsp finely chopped onions or shallots
1-2 tsp prepared mustard (I used brown mustard)
dash salt & pepper
1-2 tablespoons parsley
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/3 cup water to cook the cauliflower
paprkia for sprinkling

Rinse the head of cauliflower and remove the bottom leaves. Be sure to leave the core in tact so it won't fall apart.

Place the cauliflower and the water in a microwave save bowl. I covered mine with a piece of parchment paper and used an elastic to secure it around the bowl. You could use a piece of plastic wrap, but I'm always leery of microwaving plastic products. Microwave on high for 10 - 12 minutes. Times may vary depending on how powerful your microwave is. You can check for doness by sliding a sharp knife into the side of the cauliflower. If you can slide it in with little to no resistance, you're good. If not return to microwave and check it every few minutes.

Drain the water from the bowl and set it aside while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.

In a bowl combine the mayo, onions, mustard and salt & pepper. Stir to combine and slather it all over the cauliflower head. Top with the cheddar cheese, sprinkle with paprika and place in a 350 oven for 15 - 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Slice into wedges to eat.

No comments: