Monday, July 22, 2013

Chick-a-Roni Bites

Pepperonni Bites. jpg

The heatwave has finally eased up a little here in New England.

I think my stove forgot who I was. It's been so long.

I have a list of recipes I want/need to make and this one was at the top of that list cause I live with three men who love the pepperoni.

This is a great little appetizer, one that you could even prepare ahead of time. You take a piece of sandwich pepperoni (the big pepperoni that's the size of a slice of Genoa) and you put a slice of cheese, some basil and a little bit of chicken in it and then you roll it up tight and skewer it. The original recipe also called for some sun dried tomatoes too. I omitted it, cause no one in this house likes them. Don't worry that the chicken won't cook. After 8 minutes mine was done.

On a little side note - I burned the heck out of my hand on the blazing hot pan that these were cooked on. I had two pans going and I thought I was grabbing the cool one....ummmm...no, I grabbed it and actually heard my hand sizzle. I've got some good burns that are already getting ready to blister. Ugh. It's not the first time I've burned myself, sadly won't be the last. The perils of cooking.

Pepperonni Bites

So this little buggers were a huge hit. I'll make them again for sure.

Chick-a-Roni Bites
recipe from Mom Foodie
1/2 pound of chicken breasts or tenders, trimmed
4 ounce block of cheddar cheese
¼ cup sun dried tomato (I omitted)
½ pound wafer (sandwich) pepperoni
Fresh basil leaves
Marinara sauce

Cut chicken into bites size pieces. Cut the cheddar cheese into ¼ inch slices, and then cut each slice in half. If you are using the sun dried tomatoes, cut them into thin strips.

Preheat the oven to 450.

Place a piece of chicken and cheese at one end of the pepperoni slice. Top with a piece of fresh basil (and sun dried tomato if you are using them). Roll the pepperoni up tightly around the ingredients. Kind of like you are making a burrito. Poke a skewer though the pepperoni, starting at the loose end.

Place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 7 – 8 minutes. Drain any excess grease. I drained these on paper towl and blotted the top too. Serve with warm marinara if you'd like to dip them.

No comments: