Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Strawberry Nutella Hand Pies

Strawberry Nutella Tart

Valentines Day is almost upon us. I know for some folks it's a romantic holiday filled with flowers and candy and candlelit dinners, for us it's just another day in February.

I know that probably doesn't sound very nice to those of you who do celebrate, but that's just how it is. Keeping it real.

As I've said before, I'm lucky enough to have a wonderful husband who makes every day of my life better by just being in it. He's romantic a whole lotta days during the year, not just February 14th.  It's true. We don't need no stinkin' holiday!

Now that's as mushy as I'm going to get dammit!

On to hand pies! yum!

I stumbled upon a blog called FOLK and talking about LOVE.....I'm in love with this blog and it's magazine. It's everything I love rolled into one....beautiful photographs, delciious recipes, rustic inspiration....well this is what they'll tell you about themselves.....

FOLK magazine is devoted to presenting a fresh and youthful interpretation of simple country lifestyles, while focusing on the stories that make America our collective home sweet home. This down to Earth magazine fills a unique niche in the shelter publication landscape: content is part lifestyle, part editorial, all heart.

See everything I love! I subscribed to the magazine and I can't wait to get my first copy!

I saw their recipe for Nutella Blackberry Hand Pies and I feel head over heels! Since I didn't have blackberries on hand, I subsituted strawberries. I think the red was very Valentiney don't you?

I don't need to tell most of you about my BIG LOVE for Nutella.

Nutella Strawberry and flakey pie crust...can it get any better??


Strawberry Nutella Tart 2

Strawberry Nutella Hand Pies
1 Package pre-made package refrigerated pie crusts (2 crusts)
1 Container Nutella
1 Cup fresh or frozen (thawed) berries of your choice
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons flour
2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
1 Egg yolk
1 Tablespoon heavy cream

Berry mixture:
Combine your berries with the sugar and flour bringing to a simmer. Slightly crush the berries with potato masher or fork leaving some still whole. Allow to thicken and then cool.

Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.

Roll out 1 pie dough crust until about 1/8th inch thick. Using a large round cookie cutter or large coffee mug or cup, cut approximately 6 circles out of the pie dough. I used a 4 inch soup mug for my circles. I did re-roll the dough twice to get the last 2 circles.

Place dough circles onto parchment paper covered cookie sheet. Top each circle in center with a heaping tablespoon of Nutella and then a heaping tablespoon of cooled berry mixture.

Roll out 2nd pie dough crust until about 1/8th inch thick. Cut circles and using small heart shaped cookie cutter cut out hearts in center of each circle. I didn't have a cutter that small so I just cut the little hearts in the middle out by hand.

Top bottom circles with top circles, pressing edges together. Crimp edges with fork. Whisk together yolk and heavy cream. Brush egg mixture on each pie. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 12 - 15 minutes on middle rack. The original recipe called for 20 minutes, but when I checked at 12 minutes, mine were done. Allow to cool before serving.

9 comments:

Becki's Whole Life said...

I'm with you Lisa on the Valentine's day thing:-). These look so good. My daughter is obsessed with Nutella to the point I don't always have it in the house or she sneaks the whole jar. This would be a good little treat to make with the kids!

I will have to check out this new magazine - because lord knows I don't have enough in my house:-).

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Amy said...

Paul and I don't celebrate V-Day either - we sort of roll our eyes at it. But that doesn't really fly in the food blog world, does it? Love what you made! I mean, individual pies with that cute little heart cut out. YES. I'll take 3, please.

Anonymous said...

I lοved as much as you will receive carгіed out right here.
The skеtch is taѕteful, уоur authored ѕubјect matter ѕtylish.
nonеthеless, you command get bought an shakіness over
thаt you wish be delivеring the fοlloωing.

unwell unquestiοnably come further formerly again since exactly thе same nearlу veгy often inside cаѕе you shield this hike.



Μy web blog; long distance love

Kim said...

I also saw those little pies in Folk and loved them but I have been too lazy to make them. These are soooo cute.

I am a silly, over the moon romantic, so V day has always been one of my favorite days. We ended up on our first date on V-day (we were mocking it at the time) 15 years ago. So this year we went back to the same restaurant, got tipsy on sake and flirted with each other like the old days. If only we'd had a stack of heart pies waiting on us when we got home!