Thursday, August 2, 2012

Coconut Macaroon Cookies

Macaroon Cookies

I miss making cookies.

It seems like once the warm weather hits I just don't make cookies very much. Cookie making is a fall/winter kinda thing for me.

My youngest even said to me "how come you haven't made any cookies?" Well maybe because it's hotter 'n hell outside? He didn't think of that? Poor kid, he just wanted some cookies.

So what did I do? I made cookies. I cranked up the A/C and got out my batter bowl and recipe and churned out these delicious cookies. Only one problem....my kids don't like coconut. Ooops!

Bad Mommy. Totally forgot about that.

My friend was over for breakfast last Sunday morning. She was happy the kids didn't like them. She happily took home a bagful.

This is a simple (only 4 ingredients) cookie to make. Sometimes it's nice to work with a recipe that has just a few ingredients. I stand in the kitchen thinking "wow that was fast". Quicker to the oven, faster in your mouth!

The batter will be almost puffy. Let them get nice and golden in the oven, but be careful not to let them burn.

Macaroon Cookies 1

Coconut Macaroon Cookies
1 package (16 ounces) Angel Food Cake
½ cup water
1 ½ teaspoons almond extract
2 cups flaked coconut

In a large mixing bowl, beat the cake mix, water and almond extract on low for 30 seconds. Scrape the bowl and beat on medium speed for 1 minute. Fold in the coconut.

Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto a parchment lined baking pan. Bake at 350 for 12 - 15 minutes. Remove to wired rack to cool.

7 comments:

Amy said...

I used to make cookies every single weekend, but come to think of it...it has been a while! Didn't even realize that. And oh gosh, your boys don't like coconut? That must be torture for you. You know I share your love.

Katz said...

Oven temperature? How long to bake?

Lynda said...

These cookies sound wonderful-my husband is crazy about coconut so he'll love these.

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Katz - oops!! I correct that! Thanks for letting me know!

Flat Creek Farm said...

Woo hoo! Wow! Yay! I love coconut macaroons, and this recipe looks awesome. I too miss making cookies. We've had record days of triple digit days, and it shall be in the mid-80's from Wed thru the Weekend here. Did I mention I'm excited about that?! I think I will make this cookie recipe to celebrate :) And will pin :) Thanks! -Tammy

BufaloGirl@AOL.com said...

Hi - these will be great! How many cookies does the recipe make? How about dipping half of each cookie in chocolate sauce?

Reta
BufaloGirl AOL.com

Honey k said...

Did not have almond extract so I used orange instead and added mini chocolate chips to the batter. Nice.