Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Home

Moose boo boo


What a week. It's been a whirlwind.

I can't tell you when I have been so emotionally drained, scared, upset and just a plain ole wreck....not to mention broke.

I think I have cried more in the last week than I have in a year.

I was physically making myself sick over Moose's illness. Couldn't sleep, was throwing up everything I ate, constant worry. It really was taking a toll on me.

I know some people would say, "oh it's just a dog", but he's not. He's part of our family and when one of us is hurting, we are all hurting.

After 6 days in the ICU at Tufts, Moose is finally home.

Moose meds

The road ahead is going to be rough. He is on 7 different meds. He's nauseous. He's tired. His voice is crackly and hoarse from anesthesia. He's not broken, he's badly bent.....but he's home.

Home in his comfy bed with his toy baby bunny.

Home where he can get lots and lots of belly rubs and ear stratchin'

Home where we will all help him recuperate and get back to being the Moose we all love.

He was finally diagnosed with Bacterial Endocarditis, which means he has a bacterial infection in one of his heart valves, which traveled through his bloodstream, effecting his joints, making it hard for him to walk, along with a host of other side effects. Before we can treat him with a steroid (which will make him feel better very quickly) we have to clear up this infection and that could take 2 weeks.

It's going to be long road, but we'll just take it day by day and work on making him better.

Thank goodness for the wonderful vets at Tufts who diagnosed him and took such good care of him. I can't say enough good things about Tufts except that I wish is was much closer to home, but they were absolutely wonderful. Treated Moose so well and with such care, that it made it a tiny bit easier leaving him, knowing he was in such good care.

Moose Tufts

He goes back on Saturday for a check up and another blood sample.

Please keep him in your thoughts.

I have no doubt in my mind that all the positive energy and prayers that are being sent are helping him.

So thank you, thank you, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

It means so much to me. So very much.

The last line on the information for home care said "Moose is a very sweet dog and was a wonderful patient to work with".

A very sweet dog indeed.

13 comments:

brendalou said...

Thoughts and prayers are with Moose and your family. I have 4 four legged children and I understand your deep love and devotion.

Kim said...

I have to admit, I'm just glad to have a peek of understanding into what you're going through with Moose. Before Mazy, I was one of those ignorant people thinking, "but, it's just a dog." Boy, was I ever missing out on a huge part of being a human- having a dog show you how to be human. I am tearing up as I write this. I really hope Moose is going to feel better very soon, so you can feel better, too! Keep us in the loop.

sara marsh said...

Wonderful news that he's home! My thoughts are with him and your family for his super speedy recovery!

Lyndas recipe box said...

Aww, he's such a sweetie- of course his illness would be very upsetting. Hope he's well soon!

Vanessa said...

Thanks for the update!! I was wondering how he was doing. Will keep the prayers coming for your furr baby :)

Janet said...

Thinking of you.. I SOO get the emotion of caring for a pet so deeply! God bless your little Moose and you for all you're doing to care for him and bring him back home!

He is a very fortunate pooch to have you as his mom!

Amy said...

I don't trust people who say "it's just a dog."

Big hug to that sweet boy. He's so lucky to be surrounded by love.

Melissa said...

Aw I just want to give him a little puppy hug. I'm glad he's home Lisa.

Carol said...

Gentle healing hugs for Moose.....and hugs to you too Lisa.

I pity the people who say "oh, it's just a dog" or "it's just a cat"---they've missed out on an unconditional love like no other. Pets have a way of creeping in and grabbibg a piece of our heart.

I miss all the dogs we've had and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of at least one of them.

Prayers that Moose continues to heal...I know you're beyond happy to have him home.

He's one lucky puppy to have such wonderful parents who love him so...

Carol

Anonymous said...

Hugs & Kisses Moose.

Leigh Ann said...

YES Tufts is a wonderful place! They do such great work. I am so happy that Moose is recovering, my heart was really hurting for you. He looks SO very sweet!! Continued prayers for you guys.

The Domestic Adventurer said...

Oh gosh, I feel for you. Moose looks like such a sweetie. And I totally understand what it's like to have a dog who's more than just a dog. I hope he recovers quickly. He's lucky to have you to be so attentive to him.

marian said...

How did the checkup and the blood test went yesterday? Is Moose feeling better?