Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Breakfast Braid

Breakfast Braid CU


I found my next "go to" recipe.

It's this breakfast braid, which can also be a lunch or dinner braid in my opinion.

Simple and easy with possibilites for fillings that are endless. I've made this three times already since this posting.

I've used linguica and onion, and chicken sausage with mushrooms this time. The first time around I made it with ground pork sausage...wonderful again. The next I'm thinking pepperoni....Pizza braid, or maybe feta and spinach....Greek braid.

Here's what it looks like pre-bake.

Breakfast braid raw

All nice & golden brown.

Breakfast braid cooked


Breakfast Braid
adapted from a recipe in Food & Wine Magazine
1 (13.8 ounce) can refrigerated pizza crust dough
Cooking spray
1 tablespoon olive oil
¼ cup chopped onion
4oz linguica,crumbled
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
½ cup (2 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 large egg white lightly beaten

Oven to 425.

Unroll the dough onto a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Pat it into a 15x10 inch rectangle. I used a piece of parchment instead of the the spray. Nothing stuck.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and the sausage and cook until lightly browned (about 8 – 10 minutes). Stir in the eggs and cook 1 – 2 minutes, or until set. Remove from the heat.

Sprinkle the Monterey Jack lengthwise down the center of the dough leaving about 2 ½ inch border on each side. Spoon the sausage & egg mixture evenly over the cheese. Sprinkle with the cheddar.

Make 2 inch long diagonal cuts about 1 inch apart on both sides of the dough to withing ½ inch of the filling, using a sharp knife or kitchen shears. Arrange the strips over the filling, alternating diagonally. Press the ends under to seal.

Brush with the egg white and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting crosswise into slices.

Here's the chicken sausage & mushroom one.

Breakfast braid chick mush

Here's the lingucia & onion.

Breakfast braid ling onion

Both so good. I love that I can literally take almost anythng that I have in the fridge and use it up in this recipe. It's a keeper.

5 comments:

Doreen Frost said...

OH my!!! What a wonderful recipe!!! Thank you Lisa..I shall give this a try this evening..I was having difficulties deciding what to have!!!

:)Doreen

Monica H said...

I've seen a few different kinds of braids floating around the blogosphere but I've never seen one for breakfast- genius!

Anonymous said...

this is one of our favorite things ever and so easy. we do dinner braids but definitely going to be doing a breakfast one as well!!!

Cookie baker Lynn said...

That looks tremendous! I love the flexibility of it - stuff it with whatever sounds good. Definitely a keeper.

katie said...

Lisa that looks delicious, I love how great the eggs come out!