Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Hot Bread

Hot Bread

I found this recipe in our local paper the Providence Journal.

I have to admit, the only time I read the paper is on Wednesdays, because Wednesday's edition has the food section. Terrible huh?

So my Mom will usually leave the food section at my house each Wednesday and I check it out and once in a blue moon I'll find a recipe in it that I want to try.

Last week was a blue moon week. I saw this recipe for Hot Bread made by Carla Kimmons.

Simple, easy and quick hot bread. Maybe that's where she got the name?

Kimmons, who grew up in West Virginia, learned to make bread by watching her grandmother and neighbor.

"Making homemade bread is more about experience than technique", Kimmons said.

“The people who taught me how to bake bread didn’t check the temperature of the water with a thermometer,” she said. If the water is warm on the wrist, it’s the right temperature for proofing the yeast, and that’s something you don’t learn from a book.

“They just knew what bread felt like,” Kimmons said.

“I just love to bake bread. It relaxes me. It reminds me of growing up, and the smell of hot bread smells like home, a cozy home,” she said.

Kimmons’ recipe is simply called “hot bread” and it has only six ingredients and a few lines of instructions.

Hot Bread in pan

Hot Bread
Recipe from the Providence Journal – Carla Kimmons.
2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour (plus extra for kneading)
1 cup warm water
1 package dry yeast
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons melted margarine
1 teaspoon salt

Oven to 375. Grease a loaf pan. I always put a piece of parchment in mine too, but that is optional.

Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.

Turn the mixture out onto a floured surface. It will be sticky. Knead extra flour into the dough until it is no longer sticky. Form into a ball and let rest 10 minutes. Place the dough in the pan. Let sit in a warm place for 1 hour, or until it rises to the top of the pan. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the top is nicely browned.

Hot Bread sliced

This is a terrific bread to go with soup, or a hearty stew. It's not a sandwich bread. I double the recipe cause hot bread is gobbled up here like....well....hot bread, lol. It was good.

Hot Bread

Hot Bread – quick and delicious bread in a snap!

Recipe ...

See Hot Bread on Key Ingredient.

4 comments:

Lauren said...

Thank you so much for your blog! I'm now officially addicted :) I made the hot bread recipe...first bread I've ever actually made. It was easy, and delicious! It made me feel so accomplished :) Now, I can't wait to bake more bread!I look forward to your blog everyday.

Anonymous said...

Just to let you know, the recipe for Hot Bread is alive, well and still being "found" online. I too, doubled the recipe: 1/2 for bread and the other half for pecan/cinnamon rolls. Roll out the dough, spread with butter, sprinkle with cinnamon, brown sugar and chopped pecans. Roll like a jelly roll, slice into pieces. Let rise, place in oven and bake. Absolutely hit the spot!

Carla said...

My goodness, I never realized my hot bread recipe is still circulating out there! When my neighbor asked to do an article about my bread baking, I never imagined it would be seen by so many people! It's great to see so many folks enjoying it!
Happy bread baking! Carla Kimmons

Carla said...

Wow- this is Carla Kimmons- and I never imagined my bread recipe would be seen by so many people and still be circulating! It was an article my neighbor wanted to do about my bread and I thought it would only be local! You just never know!
Glad to see the variations of use and that bread baking is spreading!