Friday, February 26, 2010

Lemon Butter Cookies

Lemon Butter cookies on plate

Last week was school vacation week here.

I took time off to enjoy a lazy day with the boys. A day when we didn't do a whole heck of a lot. We stayed in our pj's all day long. We laid the couch, drank hot chocolate and watched silly stuff on TV.

A perfectly good do nothing much day.

A perfect day to make cookies.

Nothing fancy. Just a simple Lemon Butter cookie. 5 ingredients. Easy stuff.

Cookie Cutting

Evan chose the cookie shapes.

Cookie Cutting 2

Hearts, stars, moons, trees, a little hand and a big moose.

We made this very simple (and squishy) dough. Next time I think I'll stick it in the fridge for a bit.


These are the kind of cookie you might expect to see at a proper ladies tea. Nothing messy. Not too crummy. I should have broken out the teacups and saucers, but I don't have teacups with saucers. You might think being the tea fanatic that I am, that I would, but I don't.

We rolled it out, and got cutting.

We re-rolled the dough and cut some more.

The result....a refreshing buttery cookie with a little hint of lemon.

Hooray for lazy days.

Lemon Butter Cookies coll


Lemon Butter Cookies
recipe from Southern Living Magazine

Printable recipe

1 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 cup powdered sugar
2 cups all purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt

Oven to 325.

Beat the butter and the zest at medium speed with a heavy-duty stand mixer until creamy. Gradually add the sugar and beat well.

Combine the flour and salt and gradually add it to the butter mixture, beating until well blended. Shape the dough into a disc.

Roll the dough to 1/8 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut with 2 ¼ or 3 ¼ inch cutters. Place ½ inch apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment.

Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on baking sheet 5 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely (about 20 minutes).

7 comments:

Doreen Frost said...

Oh..that sounds like a perfect day!

These cookies look so yummy and sound absolutely delicious! I'm dying for some!

Wishing you a wonderful day,
Doreen

Amy said...

Hard to go wrong with 5-ingredient treats, especially ones that involve butter and lemon. Haley and I might have to make these this weekend, sans the fun cutters. Or...an excuse (like I need one) to go to Target, perhaps.

Laurie said...

Oooh, I'm trying these! Just picked up a bag of organic lemons this evening!

Anonymous said...

yum, yum, yum. love jammie days.

and no fancy teacups for me either. just big ones!

Anonymous said...

yum, yum, yum. love jammie days.

and no fancy teacups for me either. just big ones!

Claudia said...

I love "ordinary." The most fastastical things happen. I've been thinking about it all day. The cookies sound scrumptious - and am partial to the moose!

Jane said...

Hooray is right, Lisa! What a wonderful, relaxing day you must have had with your sons. Days like that are rare and special. Those cookies are adorable, and sometimes a plain cookie is the perfect thing. Lovely!