Monday, November 16, 2009

Balsamic Roasted Pearl Onions

Balsamic onions ina row


I know you have all heard me say it before.

I am an onion freak.

I adore them. They are like vegetable candy to me.

I'll eat them just about anyway you prepare them, but roasted really is heaven to me. I saw this recipe a few times in different magazines. I based this one on Martha's. I don't need to tell ya what Martha now do I?

I found a huge container of these tri colored pearl onions at my local Sam's Club the other day and that was my cue to finally make this recipe.

Red, yellow and white. What a beautiful sight.

Balsamic onion raw in pan
Doused in salt and pepper, then drizzled with a good balsamic and some olive oil.

Roasted until tender and juicy.

This recipe just made it to my Thanksgiving menu.
You could roast these the night before and then just heat to serve. I think they would go great with turkey.

Balsamic onions cooked


Balsamic Roasted Pearl Onions
Printable recipe
1 ¼ pounds fresh pearl onions
(you can substitute two 10 ounce packages if you don’t have fresh)
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper


Balsamic onions in bowl

Preheat the oven to 450.

If you are using fresh onions, soak them in warm water for 5 minutes to loosen the skins, then using a paring knife, cut off the ends and peel the onions.

Toss the onion with the vinegar and oil on a rimmed, foil lined baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper. Roast until onions are tender, about 25 to 30 minutes, stirring 2 or 3 times and rotating the baking sheet half way through.

16 comments:

Laurie said...

Onions are like candy to me too! This dish is now on my Thanksgiving table as well. The photos are so good, I'm drooling.

jancd said...

I am as crazy about onions as you are. And I have a very good friend who is allergic to them!! Can you imagine???

There's an email going around that if you sit onions around your house, you will not get the flu!! I'm all in. I have little bowls of yellow onions in my living room, kitchen and bedroom. It's fun and we have not had a sniffle!!

Doreen Frost said...

Oh my good gracious Lisa..these look amazing..what a wonderful holiday dish this will make...THANK YOU :)

Have a wonderful day,
:)Doreen

Nutmeg Nanny said...

I love roasted onions. The best part about them is that they get sweet when you cook them...yum! I love that drizzle of balsamic on top....delicious:)

moving on said...

question, if I were to make up a giant batch of these, say several pounds of onions, how long do you think would they keep in the fridge?

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Remy I still had some left 5 days later, only cause they got pushed to the back of the fridge or those suckers would have been so gone, lol. After 5 days I nuked them and they were still good. Hope that helps! Lisa

Kristin said...

Oh my! Those look deeelicious!

home staging in Toronto said...

Wonderful recipe, I love onions too and I can't imagine any meal without them. However, I think that they are best when they are freshly roasted rather than heated. And besides onion there is also garlic that make the the meal delicious. Both can be used when preparing turkey for Thanksgiving dinner.

Good luck,
Ella

Hip Mountain Mama said...

This looks really delicious! We throw onions in just about everything we prepare!

Unknown said...

Lisa,

I saw this recipe earlier today and you came immediately to mind. Sounds right up your alley.

And I'll bet your photo would be better than theirs.

Now how's that for a challenge?

Lee

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1932607

Eileen said...

Yummy. I will try these for Thanksgiving. Everyone loves onios. I liked your tip on soaking the fresh onions before peeling. I think this will cut down on the crying too!!

Chiot's Run said...

MMMMM, those look soooooooo yummy. I a sucker for balsamic anything (even on strawberry ice cream if it's the right balsamic).

Terri A. said...

I love onions, too and these look so good! I might have to try these out for Thanksgiving.

Irene said...

Roasted onions and balsamic? You had me at hello!

Kitchen Butterfly said...

Yep...soak them first. I ovenbaked silver onions weeks ago, not with basalmic though....these look yum

Anonymous said...

i have a handful of pearl onions on my counter, and this is just what i'm looking for. i'll have to scale down the recipe, but as antipasto i think they'll be perfect!