Monday, September 28, 2009

Proscuttio Pinwheels

Proc Pinwheel CU1

Talk about easy.

This is one super easy recipe.

I popped these into the oven last Sunday while my husband was watching his beloved Steelers. My husband is a die-hard football fan. He anticipates football season the way a little kids anticipates Christmas. So when his team is on and he can actually see the game here in RI, I like to make him some football treats.
I scored big with this recipe. Get it scored, football, oh never mind.

I found this recipe in a magazine I received called Simple & Delicious. I don’t know how I got the magazine, but it was in my mailbox so I scanned it over and saw quite a few delicious possibilities. I decided to start out with these.

When these came out of the oven, I put one on a napkin, handed it John, warned him it was hot and walked back into the kitchen. One minute later he walked into the kitchen and said:

“Whatever those are, I hope you made a whole lot of them”.

So needless to say, he liked them, he liked them a lot.

Proc Pinwheel

I doubled this recipe and they were all gone within a half hour or so. The kids loved them too.

I might try this with some thicker sliced ham next time. I’m going to warn you right now, one package of the puff pastry will not be enough. You really should double this recipe if you make it.
It's just so damn good.

Prosciutto Pinwheels
Printable recipe
Yield 20 appetizers (we doubled the batch and got 28, this recipe is for 1 batch)
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
¼ cup sweet hot mustard (I used Dijon)
¼ pound prosciutto or deli ham
½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese (I used grated cause I was out of shredded)

Unfold the puff pastry and spread it with the mustard. Leave a ½ border when you are spreading the mustard. Lay the proscuitto and cheese over the mustard. Roll up one side to the middle of the dough: roll up the other side to the middle so the two rolls meet in the center. Using a serrated knife cut into ½ inch slices.

Place on greased sheet (or parchment lined sheet). Bake at 400 for 11 – 13 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Serve warm.

Proc Pinwheel CU

6 comments:

Vanessa said...

WOW are those making me hungry! What a great recipe. Will come in handy for those holiday parties :D

Anonymous said...

What temp did you bake them in and for how long?

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

OMG I left out the baking time. Fixed it! Sorry about that!

June said...

I just ate dinner, and the sight of those still make me hungry. Fabulous! What a great party food. Can't wait to try it...

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Wow these look amazing! What nice wife you are to make these for your hubby:)

test it comm said...

Those look so tasty!